ADKX-tra Credit Podcast
ADKX-tra Credit is a history podcast for students. Each episode examines a topic in the history of the Adirondack Park region of New York State and brings it into focus. ADKX-tra Credit presents intriguing topics, interesting historical tidbits, and insights into the Adirondack Experience’s world-class collection. It connects directly to upper elementary and middle school NYS curriculum.
To find out more about the premise of ADKX-tra Credit, the people behind it, and the Adirondack Park, listen to the first episode: Hello from Blue Mountain Lake
The Benefits of podcasts for your class
- Enhances listening comprehension. The step from listening to verbal information and understanding what it means is a struggle for many students. This is true whether it is instructions, information, or even a joke. Podcasts present a fun way to practice those skills. CLICK HERE to download a copy of a Podcast Response Sheet that is available for you to use.
- Extends student learning with links between content areas. No time for Social Studies? ADKX-tra Credit episodes are only 20-30 minutes. Episode notes include lessons and ideas for extensions. Check back often; we are constantly working to develop more useful, curriculum-oriented material.
- Encourages reflective thinking. The ability to look at the past and develop understanding and insights about what happened and to use this information to develop a deeper understanding is at the core of every Social Studies/History class. It is a natural part of learning. ADKX-tra Credit will bring the past alive for listeners.
- Repetitive listening. Big concepts and unfamiliar vocabulary will become clear with repeat listening.
- Provides an opportunity to scaffold lessons. Podcasts are a great tool for teachers trying to reach struggling or unmotivated students.
- Allows students the freedom to multitask. Earbuds are an iconic sight on today’s students. Podcasts present a perfect marriage of listening while doing something else.
How to use a Podcast in your classroom
- Centers: Download our Podcast Response Sheet and you have a ready-made center.
- Practice summarizing: Pair students after listening and have them tell each other what the podcast was about.
- Alternative to a read aloud: Episode scripts are available for download. Students can read along as they listen.
- Whole class listening: Listen together and you can generate discussions and answer questions.
- Introduce a new unit: ADKX-tra Credit is curriculum based. Every two weeks we will be adding new episodes that connect Adirondack history and classroom instruction.
- A transitional activity after lunch, recess, or specials: Fill that challenging time between activity and quiet learning with whole class listening time.
- Listening while on a long bus trip: Adirondack Experience is located in Blue Mountain Lake, NY. A great way to prepare for a visit or assimilate after a visit is by listening to ADKX-tra Credit.
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 1
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 2
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 3
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 4
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 5
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 6
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 7
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 8
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 9
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 10 + 11
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 12
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 13
- ADKX-tra Credit: Episode 14